by Stacy Green
Series: Lucy Kendall #2
Genres: Suspense thriller
"I couldn’t erase the memory of the video. A little boy with dark brown skin, a little skinny but overall healthy looking, stood naked in the middle of a nondescript room. A disembodied voice ordered him to turn in a circle, to raise his arms over his head, to bend over. He obeyed with a glazed look in his eyes and tears running down his cheeks. A price was named just before the video ended. I would kill someone for that little boy tonight." Savvy undercover work leads Lucy Kendall to an underground child sex trafficking ring. But when her best lead is found dead, Lucy becomes a suspect in a murder she didn’t commit. Lucy barrels ahead, determined to take out the trafficking ring no matter the personal cost. Powerful outside forces intervene, and she finds herself on the run for murder. Clearing her name means embracing her growing dark side. With Chris by her side, Lucy fights for justice. Is a monster from the past Lucy’s worst enemy, or will the blossoming evil in her own heart be her ultimate destruction? Packed with suspense, See Them Run is a dark psychological thriller with a finely crafted mystery that takes readers into the deepest recesses of the human psyche.
See Them Run is the second Lucy Kendall book by Stacy Green. Suspenseful with engaging characters I once again slipped into Lucy’s world as she plays judge, jury and executioner. Green takes us into the seedy world of child sex trafficking in this well-crafted thriller.
Five Caffeinated reasons to grab See Them Run
- Lucy Kendall is one interesting private investigator. In her former life, she was a social worker but riddled with guilt when the system’s red tape and procedural bullshit cost a life she set out on her own to make things right. With the help of her techie friend, she unearths the darker evil side of the city and quietly seeks justice. She is kickass, tenacious and like a certain charming serial killer we all know and love (Dexter), she loves her job a little too much.
- Green spins captivating cases and this time we go undercover to stop a child sex trafficking ring. Power, greed, secrets and dangerous men with deep pockets are involved. When one of her sources ends up dead, Lucy soon finds herself caught in a deadly trap and accused of murder.
- Dynamic friendships and secondary characters that have depth help balance out Lucy and the cases she works. Chris knows her secrets and tries to keep her from getting herself killed. Todd Beckett is on the police force and aids her. These two men both like and respect Lucy and there are hints of feelings, but Green is taking any kind of development slow. It is a nice little thread of curiosity.
- Sex trafficking particularly those dealing with children is a dark subject but Green handled it well and the storyline was well researched giving it authenticity. I appreciated her thoughtful approach to the subject without sugar coating it.
- See Them Run was a well-crafted tale with overall arc and character development. The case was fairly wrapped up, but like in the real world, you snip at pieces of these networks and hope that eventually you get at the root. I am anxious to see more advancement on the series arc concerning “Mother.” An intense thriller with a complex heroine who both freaks me out and draws me close.
Fans of Dexter, and suspense thrillers will find See Them Run and the Lucy Kendall series to be satisfying reads that keep you flipping the pages.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone