by Jayne Castle
Series: Rainshadow #3, Harmony #11, Arcane Society #15
Published by: Penguin
Genres: Paranormal Romance
The world of Harmony has its wonders, one of them being Rainshadow Island. Just beneath its surface, a maze of catacombs hides a dangerous secret...… Halloween—with its tricks and treats—is a dust bunny’s dream come true. Just ask Lyle, Sedona Snow’s faithful sidekick. But for Sedona, it’s a nightmare. Though her new job managing a small hotel and tavern on Rainshadow is helping her move on from her tragic past, a bizarre disaster down in the catacombs has brought a pack of rowdy ghost hunters to her inn. And now, Sedona’s ex has arrived on the island, claiming he wants to get back together, just as a newcomer appears to have a strong interest in her. Cyrus Jones is the new Guild boss in town. He has his own agenda when it comes to Sedona, but even the best-laid plans are no match for the passion that springs up on Rainshadow….
The Hot Zone by Jayne Castle is the third book in the Rainshadow series and the eleventh book set in Harmony, a futuristic planet that ties into Jayne Anne Krentz’s Arcane series. Confused? Let me briefly explain. Jayne Anne Krentz writes as Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle. Her Arcane series began with Second Sight written as Amanda Quick and are historical paranormals. As Jayne Anne Krentz, she writes paranormal novels set in our present day and as Castle, she writes them set on the planet Harmony in the future. They all get their origin from one paranormal family the Jones. Reading them in order as I have is simply delightful, however, these can be read individually or broken down by author/trilogy/individual series. Do not run. These are fantastic suspenseful tales filled with danger, paranormal artifacts and swoon-worthy romances.
The Hot Zone take us back to Rainshadow island home of misfit characters and the strange forest known as the Preserve. In an attempt to gain more power, some have attempted to harness the power of artifacts left behind by the aliens who once inhabited this planet, while other far dangerous scientist and those in power have tried to recreate the serum a Jones created to boost ones paranormal powers.
Five reasons to grab a cup of joe and lose yourself in The Hot Zone:
1. It is Halloween on Rainshadow Island, and its newest resident Sedona Snow is in danger. She recently escaped from an underground laboratory thanks to the help of her new companion and faithful dust bunny, Lyle. Castle weaves a suspenseful tale complete with murder, mayhem and escalating danger that kept me on edge. Her villains will make you shiver and wish unhappy things to befall them!
2. Cyrus Jones. Meoow! Hunters are on the island to keep folks from traveling into the dangerous catacombs after reports of strange prehistoric monsters began circulating. Cyrus’s is the town’s new Guild boss but he is also here to investigate Sedona. The man has a commanding presence, and you will enjoy page time with him.
3. Lyle! Best dust bunny EVER. Unlike previous dust bunnies like the oh so adorable Elvis, Lyle does not collect shiny babbles or purses. Nope, he is a little OCD and likes to arrange and rearrange things. I am a huge fan of these cute little, dangerous creatures and dream of owning my own. I love how Castle weaves them into the story and mystery.
4. Cyrus and Sedona are both strong characters, and the banter between them and sexual tension was a delight. Could this be classified as insta-attraction/love? Probably. However, Castle made it feel genuine, and I fell completely. The heated scenes are tame, but that does not stop Castle from making the pages sizzle.
5. Paranormal Woo-Woo. Castle weaves in artifacts, secret formulas, evil dudes and aliens to make for one heck of a paranormal experience. I loved the Wonderland cave they discovered, the monsters and the side effects. She has a vivid imagination and has created an unbelievable landscape in Harmony and Rainshadow Island. From tuned amber to dust bunnies, it is a world I want to visit repeatedly.
Yeah, I totally fangirled The Hot Zone, but it a series I highly recommend and Jayne Castle outdid herself with this newest addition. Jayne Anne Krentz and all of her author personalities are auto-buys for me. She is an author I recommend daily.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone