by Misty Evans, Adrienne Giordano
Series: Justice Team #1
Genres: Romantic Suspense
In this first book in a thrilling new romantic suspense series… Justice “Grey” Greystone was fired from the FBI for insubordination. Now the FBI wants him to use his renegade skills to take down a serial killer who’s above the law. To trap the Lion, Grey will need to send the perfect woman undercover. Sydney Banfield runs a women’s shelter and bends the law daily to help victims of abuse escape their painful lives. Three of the women she’s recruited for government jobs have become victims of the Lion. If Syd has her way, the vicious killer will never touch another woman again.
Grey and Sydney set a trap—with Sydney as the sexy bait—but the Lion adds a complex twist to his homicidal agenda. With Sydney’s life on the line, Grey must race against the clock to catch a killer who’s as unstoppable as he is evil.
Stealing Justice by Misty Evans and Adrienne Giordano is the first in a romantic suspense series that takes us into the world of high profile dignitaries and government officials. Escorts, murder and cover ups added to the suspense and had me flipping the pages. Mini review: Complex characters, sexual tension, heat, murder and suspense made this an excellent beginning to the Justice Team series.
Justice “Grey” Greystone lost his job at the FBI for insubordination. His skill set has them knocking on his door asking for help in taking down a serial killer. The “Lion” is a dignitary who skirts the law by brutally raping and strangling his victims. He recruits Sydney Banfield, a feisty, damaged and gusty female who runs a woman’s shelter in DC. She also heads up an underground network that helps woman and children escape their abusive husbands. Her office has a direct link to the murdered victims.
• The case involving the Lion and the murders had intense moments, twists and danger. As Sydney went undercover and they searched for evidence I found myself caught up in the action.
• Cupcakes! Sydney’s obsession with cupcakes made me giggle and I began craving them in the worse way.
• The romance that built between Grey and Sydney while bordering on insta-love had some hilarious moments, heat and touching scenes as these two flawed characters opened up and shared. I felt they made each other stronger. As a team, they worked well together. Sydney reacts and Grey plans giving balance to their investigation.
• The political world of DC and privilege made for an intriguing read. Navigating these shark infested waters increased the tension.
• The characters were complex and far from perfect. Grey is honorable and has his own code. Good or bad he stands by it. I would call him old-fashion, and his reaction to Sydney was fun to watch. Sydney is wacky, damaged, aggressive and at times hilarious. She is also protective, caring and insightful. The banter between them was fun and I felt their connection.
• The romance moved a little fast which is often the case in romantic suspense. Despite some issues, I rooted for them. Frenzied sex following tense situations made for some hot scenes, wicked banter and snark.
• The tale wrapped up nicely following a climatic, nail biting scene and wrapped thing up with a touching moment.
• Foreshadowing and clues revealed things to me as a reader and by 40% I knew how the murder would be solved. I loved the clues, but some were mentioned more than once through the course of the investigation. I felt Grey should have made the connection sooner, and the second mention probably made more readers aware who normally might have enjoyed guessing longer.
• Sometimes conversations between Grey and Sydney felt a little forced especially when they opened up about their past.
• Grey’s ex-partner just kind of appeared, and I would have liked more details about him. I felt their camaraderie and liked the way they interacted. I am hoping we see more of him in future books.
• The cupcakes were fun, and certainly made me laugh. The final scene with them was delightful, but I feel there was some overkill. I love cupcakes, but Sydney should be the size of a house for all the times she mentions them and wants them.
Stealing Justice was a fast paced, action packed romantic suspense, and I enjoyed the ride. I am looking forward to the next installment of the Justice Team.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
Never miss a post by adding Caffeinated to your Inbox
Your email address will not be shared with anyone